The New England Recruiting Report National Prep Showcase routinely draws the nation’s top prep schools and this year was no different. The three day showcase style event also draws most of the prominent national scouts out to the high school circuit for the first time of the fall.
2012 Michigan commitment Mitch McGary and Brewster Academy played two games in the showcase. The first was a a 91-75 win over Fishburne Military Academy on Saturday and the second was a 95-65 dismantling of Massanutten Military Academy. Brewster moved to 5-0 on the season but the weekend was a struggle for McGary.
McGary had nine points and eight rebounds in the 16-point win over Fishburne but received more buzz for his fiery attitude and emotion. He had even less impact on the box score in Sunday’s blowout win. Here are some of the notable Twitter reactions from McGary’s performance:
- @DraftExpress: Considering much older he is than his 2012 class, I thought Mitch McGary would be far more advanced considering his recruiting ranking. Good thing for Mitch McGary is only one NBA team (Indiana) showed up. He needs to go to college, and probably for at least a few years.
- @jeffborzello McGary still going strong at the end of the bench with the "They Don’t Want It! They Don’t Want It!" Love his enthusiasm.
- @bosworthhoops One thing I really like about Mitch McGary is he doesnt dwell on negative plays. Its always on to the next one. Everything has been a struggle for Mitch McGary this weekend. Hes still a stud but its been a tough couple of days.
- @KipTJam Love Mitch McGary as a prospect but he was basically MIA this morning.Thankfully for him Mich won’t have many 10 a.m. games in his career
- @DaveTelep: McGary has to establish something. Energy is there but hasn’t found any groove. McGary’s a trip. He’s a little fired up. Chest bumping. "THEY DON’T WANT IT. THEY DON’T WANT IT." Caps were needed, sorry. Brewster Academy has too many finishers. McGary barely played first half.
The NBA allowed scouts to attend the event due to McGary’s potential draft eligibility this spring and the Indiana Pacers and Cleveland Cavaliers were among the teams reported to be in attendance.
While McGary might have struggled, another prospect that Michigan coaches have been playing close attention to this fall excelled: 2013 big man Dominic Woodson. Michigan coaches were in to watch Woodson workout several times this fall and he’s likely to see his stock skyrocket after an impressive performance on the big stage this weekend. The national media reaction was strong:
- @EvanDanielscout:Dominic Woodson is sitting among the last 15 spots in our 2013 top 100. That’s too low. Time for the big fella to move up.
- @DaveTelep: Dominic Woodson, JR post, been outstanding today. Guards let him down and he’s still fighting. Kid has inside/out game, brain, feel
- chadbabel: Dominic Woodson has shown an ability to shoot a mid range jump shot better then any other big I have seen in the 2013 class.
- ebosshoops: Dominic Woodson from class of 2013. Definitely a guy whose stock is on the rise. Big, strong and can shoot.
- @RisingstarsATX 2013 Rising Star/Vermont Aca. Dominic Woodson invited to NBA Camp
Woodson most recently has listed offers from Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor and Illinois and interest from Connecticut, Maryland, Florida, Louisville, North Carolina State, Michigan, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Miami.