A Word On Offers
On Friday, we reported that Nick Stauskas picked up a Michigan offer after Stauskas told Joe that his AAU coach had passed along the news of an offer. TheWolverine is also reporting a similar story ($) while GoBlueWolverine is reporting that Stauskas has yet to be offered ($). The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
It’s worth pointing out that when Michigan offers a prospect, the offer isn’t usually made official until the prospect visits Ann Arbor and sits down with Beilein. Stauskas has yet to visit Ann Arbor so it’s unlikely that his offer is set in stone. However, Stauskas has mentioned that he plans to visit Ann Arbor in August and this is quite likely when his offer could be made official.
At this point it’s safe to assume that Stauskas doesn’t have an official offer, however this could all change when he visits campus. Stauskas has called Michigan his leader so this is continues to be a recruitment to watch.
Costello Picks Up A Spartan Offer
Michigan was one of the first high-major schools to offer Bay City Western power forward Matt Costello a scholarship earlier this summer. Over the last two weeks Costello played very well on the AAU circuit and now his recruitment is taking off nationally.
Costello picked up an offer from Indiana last week but the big news over the weekend was that Michigan State had extended an offer to the talented forward.
NBA Summer League
NBA Summer League action wrapped up on Sunday and the Summer League experience was up and down for Michigan’s two recent entrants into the professional basketball world.
DeShawn Sims parlayed a strong performance in his third game with Boston (18 points, 8-11 shooting, 16mins) into a spot on the Dallas Mavericks’ team in Vegas. Sims played in three games but only got extending playing time in one contest: 10 points (4-6 fg) and 7 rebounds in 16 minutes versus Washington. Sims also notched 6 points (3-4 fg) in 10 minutes on Sunday night.
Manny Harris only played in one contest (5 mins, 0-2 fg, 1 ast) with the Cavaliers summer league team but that’s because he has been limited by a severe high ankle sprain. This obviously isn’t a great situation for Harris, who is missing out on the opportunity to impress NBA scouts. However, the Cavaliers’ roster is certainly in flux and Manny might have a chance to sneak onto an NBA roster somewhere.
Former Wolverine Courtney Sims averaged 25 minutes, 9 points, and six rebounds per game with the Lakers squad in Vegas.
More Recruiting Notes
- Markus Crider had another strong performance at the NY2LA Summer Jam, Rivals’ Brian Snow called it his “best game of the summer”. Crider has the tools but has yet to put it all together consistently. Gary Harris and RJ Hunter also impressed at Summer Jam.
- Amir Williams appeared to flip the switch at the Peach Jam where he averaged 10.8 and 4.4 blocks rebounds per contest. When he plays with some fire, Williams has the potential to dominate the game on the defensive end. Scout.com’s Evan Daniels was impressed with Amir Williams and Trey McDonald ($).
- Commitment Carlton Brundidge was also solid at the the Peach Jam. Brundidge shot 38.1% (8 of 21) from three point range and averaged 16.2 points per game over 5 games at the Peach Jam.
- Austin Burgett turned some heads at the Peach Jam.
- Mike Rothstein profiled incoming freshman Jon Horford for AnnArbor.com.
- Denmark wing recruit Jonathan Gilling is averaging 8.3 points and 2 rebounds per game in Denmark’s first three games at the U20 Euro Championships in Austria.