That momentum didn’t carry over to the second half, as Javontae Hawkins took over for the Chargers. Hawkins scored nine of his 16 points in the quarter, as Powers expanded its lead to 47-34 entering the fourth quarter.
“We knew they’d come out and make a run,” Northern coach Thomas Tucker said. “Hawkins is probably the best player in the area. He showed his athleticism. The coach must have got into him at halftime, because he came out a different player.”
Sheldon had 28 points in a 70-49 win over Charlevoix.
Class of 2013
- John Beilein was in Indiana to watch 2013 guard Austin Hatch. Hatch didn’t disappoint notching 30 points and 16 rebounds in an 88-82 victory over Bishop Luers. Michigan is showing serious interest in Hatch, who recently visited for the Iowa game. Beilein isn’t the only one taking notice, Purdue and Virginia coaches have also been in to watch him and Notre Dame is expected soon. Hatch camped at Michigan last summer.
- Steve Haney Jr. had 6 points and three assists in a 2 point win over his old school, East Lansing. Haney also had 17 points in a 79-62 win over Grand Ledge and 8 points in an upset loss to Jackson.
- Jackson Lamb had 31 points in a blowout win over Lincoln. He followed that up with a game high 22 points in a 59-44 win over Saline.
- As mentioned in this post, Denzel Watts had a big 19 point game versus Flint Powers.
- Zak Irvin had six points in a 63-58 win at Carmel.
- Derrick Walton had 12 points in a 30 point win over Dearborn Heights Star International.
- Basil Smotherman had 18 points in a 48-47 win over Covenant Christian, 11 points in a 72-54 win over Fall Creek Academy and 11 points in a 78-55 loss to Indianapolis Cathedral.