Here is video from John Beilein’s post-game press conference after Michigan’s 68-59 win over Saginaw Valley State. Highlights are after the jump, for those of you that prefer reading your news.
- Had some opportunities to pull away, didn’t take advantage. Had a lot of young guys out there figuring it out.
- Thought the defense was good, the “value of the ball” was good, but didn’t shoot the ball very well. For two freshmen (Evan Smotrycz and Tim Hardaway Jr.) the lights were on for the first time and they struggled a little bit with their shots.
- Tim Hardaway Jr. has been under the weather, saw a little of that today. Both he and Smotrycz have been shooting real well in practice.
- Pleased with Smotrycz’ nine rebounds despite his poor shooting.
- Was playing with the lineups all game, would have liked to get Eso Akunne in but wasn’t able to get the lead to that point.
- Thought Matt did a good job coming off the bench, Colton can come in and make things happen. Doesn’t know how deep they’ll go as the season progresses.
- Jordan Morgan’s 15 boards is a “good number against anybody.” Loved the fact that he was pulling them down in traffic. Passed the ball well, also.
- Thought Darius played with a “great deal of poise,” has a much better understanding of “what it takes to direct a team.” Just want him to be “solid.”
- “We’ve got to make shots.” Talked about how they can’t count on DeShawn Sims’ 15-20 points underneath. Makes it even more important to knock down open jumpers.
- “We’re going to have trouble with those really quick teams,” thought Michigan played well on defense in the first half.
- Still a lot of work to do, but the objective was to get everybody playing time.
- Some not-great shot selection early, some bad defense in the second half. Going to have to play pretty efficient games to be successful.
- Not trying to call so many plays, trying to get the players to read defenses and not rely on scripted plays so much.
- Zack Novak played forward and in the backcourt [Ed: 26 minutes at the two, 7 minutes at the four by my count], seemed comfortable at guard. Need to find ways to get him open.