- Michigan had their first scrimmage of the year over the weekend and a report should be posted on JohnBeilein.com sometime today. At this point each day might make things less clear than the day before, as different players (especially bigs) stand out each day.
- The entire basketball team participated in a fundraiser for Mott Children’s Hospital over the weekend and I’ve received several glowing notes informing me that the team represented themselves very well. The entire team — players, coaches, and support staff — were on hand, and Stu Douglass gave the keynote speech.
- 2012 wing guard JaVontae Hawkins picked up an offer from West Virginia last week and also made a recent visit to South Florida. Michigan continues to be a key player in the Flint native’s recruitment and in good standing.
- Amir Williams’ final three visits appear to be confirmed and set. Williams will visit Purdue on Oct. 29-30th, Michigan on Nov. 5-6th, and Ohio State on Nov. 12-13th. Williams will sign his LOI during the early signing period which runs from Nov. 10-17th. It’s progress that Michigan is getting a visit but they are still playing catch-up in Williams’ recruitment.
- Michigan 2011 commitment Trey Burke continues to play extremely well. Most recently, Burke was named the MVP at the All-Ohio Nike City Series in Columbus, OH by Ohio HS Hoops: “Burke continues to deliver and proves to be not just the best guard in Central Ohio, but the best player. He impacts every game in a significant manner, but in most cases, he impacts every possession. Burke knocked down big shots, scored driving to the basket, and even rebounded the ball very well from his guard spot. It seems like every event or game we cover of Burke’s the Michigan commit knocks down a big shot.”
- DeShawn Sims’ PAOK squad is in the middle of a major labor controversy in the Greek basketball league. Sims’ team faced league power Panathinaikos, who’s players refused to participate in the strike, with only their foreign players. So Peedi was one of just five PAOK players that took the court and managed to score 20 points in a 47 point loss. The situation doesn’t look to be improving much either.
- Josh Bartelstein posted another blog entry, this one about Jordan Morgan.
- Indiana guard Verdell Jones suffered an ankle injury at practice over the weekend.