For more photos see the Michigan Basketball Facebook page.
Michigan suffered another loss in Belgium today, falling to Oostende by 15 points. The Wolverines played Oostende to a draw through the first quarter but let the game slip away in the second quarter. Michigan went to half time down 18 but managed to fight back, cutting the Oostende lead to single digits with a 17-10 third quarter before letting the game slip away in the fourth.
[More: Post Game Video/Audio Interviews]
Michigan is obviously over-matched by these professional Belgian teams. We don’t have a perfect measure of how good the teams are but it’s pretty clear that they can play. There are a number of American players that were very good college players that have likely only gotten better and stronger.
The offense has been horrendous – 32% shooting today – but there are plenty of logical factors playing against Michigan including the longer three point line and 24 second clock. Despite their struggles Michigan battled, didn’t quit, and appeared to play tough defense today.
Michigan wraps up their Euro-tour tomorrow with a 1 p.m. eastern game versus Travis Conlan’s former squad, Mons. Box score, tempo free stats, and analysis from today’s game after the jump.
- It was obviously a very rough shooting game for Michigan, there were some exceptions (Douglass, Morgan) but again Michigan shot just 34% from inside the three point arc.
- Great performance by Stu Douglass from behind the arc… Hopefully he can find some consistency.
- Jordan Morgan had four of Michigan’s nine 2-point field goals including a nice put back (which just happened to be his only rebound).
- McLimans, Horford, Smotrycz, and Morgan combined for 57 minutes. That means that 23 of Zack Novak’s 30 minutes came at the four position. Despite that, Novak didn’t pull down a rebound.
- We don’t have a full box score for Oostende but 10 steals is encouraging. That means that Michigan is doing a good job forcing turnovers. The defense was impressive enough to warrant a promotional tweet from Bacari Alexander.
- Tim Hardaway Jr. didn’t shoot the ball all too well but it seems like he is going to be a safe bet to put up double digit field goal attempts this year. Probably would be nice if he could go inside a little more (7 of 11 FGA from three).
- Nice to see Darius Morris with 5 assists to just one turnover but another dreadful shooting night from the field (1-8) and the stripe (1-5).
- 4 of 13 at the free throw line? I don’t think they move the free throw line back over there.
- Despite his slender build, Jon Horford appears to be one of the best rebounders per minute of the young big men.
- Josh Bartelstein played 9 minutes to Eso Akunne’s two. That seems surprising to me.