There have been a smorgasbord of NBA draft, transfer, commitment, and coaching updates over the last few days. There will undoubtedly be a few more before the May 8th draft withdrawal deadline but here is a run-down of some recent announcements:
- Update: Manny Harris will workout with the Houston Rockets tomorrow.
- Chad Ford thinks Manny Harris should return to school but the point is moot: all signs point toward Manny staying in the draft. As was mentioned a couple weeks ago, Harris has been working out with Joe Abunassar from Impact Basketball in Las Vegas.
- DeShawn Sims will be represented by CAA, more specifically Leon Rose. Rose’s longstanding connections with William Wesley have been well documented and I think Peedi should be in good hands (it’s probably no coincidence that the USA Today feature on Sims was published around the same time that he signed with CAA). Harris has yet to sign with an agent (to public knowledge) but the tip I received when he declared was that CAA would be a good bet.
- The next couple weeks and months are crunch time for Sims and Harris as NBA workouts kick into full gear. (Side note: how stupid is it to make the withdrawal deadline before any workouts? Thanks NCAA) All you have to do is impress one team and Sims and Harris will both have their opportunities.
- Brian Ellerbee is back. He’ll join Oliver Purnell as an assistant coach at DePaul.
- Florida 2011 wing Rod Days Jr. is expected to visit Georgia Tech on June 11th.
- Inside the Hall reports that Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan are recruiting Yogi Ferrell the hardest.
- Talor Battle will return to Penn State but not so fast but still probably (go figure).
- Tom Herzog is leaving Michigan State to attend Central Florida for one additional season.
- There are also strong rumors that Chris Allen might be leaving the MSU program as well.
- Suttons Bay guard Dwaun Anderson (2011) verbally committed to Michigan State yesterday.
- The Purdue BBall Blog reports that NBA scouts think JaJuan Johnson should return to school, but the junior has yet to remove his name.
- Iowa decommitment Ben Brust won his appeal with the Big Ten and will be allowed to attend a Big Ten school. Wisconsin appears to be his likely destination.
- Gordon Hayward is staying in the draft which takes some of the luster off of next year’s Duke/Butler rematch.
- David and Travis Wear are leaving North Carolina and Hugh Kellenberger hypothesizes that the move could throw a loop in Cody Zeller’s recruitment.
- Kevin Borseth offered Hailey Kontny a scholarship as an 8th grader.