DeShawn Sims, Zack Gibson, Josh Bartelstein, Zack Novak, Coach John Mahoney, and Eric Puls (MGoBlue.com)
- John Beilein’s track workouts are underway, Michigan had their fourth workout yesterday and have three left to go. The guards are pictured here as well. Yet another sign that the season is almost here, the countdown to Michigan Madness is down to 21 days.
- What’s the latest on Casey Prather? The Item reported that Billy Donovan was scheduled for an in-home visit yesterday. They also mention that Clemson headman Oliver Purnell has not made his in-home and doesn’t appear to have one scheduled. A decision is imminent and while the original plan was to decide after an October 3rd Vanderbilt visit, his AAU coach has hinted on Twitter that a Vandy visit might be unnecessary. His AAU coach, Charles Clark, also mentioned that the Florida visit wasn’t enough to name a clear leader. It’s a waiting game now — Michigan and Florida appear to be in a great position but I would hesitate to count out Vanderbilt, the local option. The bottom line with Prather’s recruitment is there are a lot of people not named Casey Prather who are offering their opinions, I don’t think we’ll know how he really feels until he makes his decision.
- Speaking of Billy Donovan, he was flying coach out of Detroit earlier this week, goes along with a tip I got that he stopped by Calihan Hall to check in on Ray McCallum Jr. McCallum is not going to end up in Ann Arbor, if he doesn’t play for his dad I think Kansas and Oklahoma are in very good position.
- Top 20 2011 wing Branden Dawson (Gary, IN) lists Michigan in his top 10. The junior wing is also “considering attending the IU at Michigan football game Saturday in Ann Arbor” as well. Dawsen is a big time prospect but at this point the smart money is probably on Purdue.
- Go Blue Wolverine caught up with Country Day big man Amir Williams (2011) and it appears like he is going to take his time with the recruiting process.
- 2012 big man Malik London, of Chillicoth HS in Ohio, made an unofficial visit to Ann Arbor last weekend. Michigan State and Wake Forest are also involved, London is set to visit Ohio State this weekend.
- Jeremiah Davis has trimmed his list to “about six“. Davis visited Ann Arbor earlier this month and also has Michigan State and University of Detroit visits scheduled.
- Spencer Turner was in Ann Arbor last weekend but at this point it’s going to be hard to find room for him. Turner has visits scheduled to Miami (OH) and Notre Dame and is receiving interest from Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin.
- John Beilein’s coaching clinic is scheduled for October 31st. GVSU head coach Ric Wesley and Penn State Erie Behrend College head coach Dave Niland. John Beilein’s lecture will be titled “Passing Drills to Reduce Turnovers”, can’t say I’m surprised about that one. The full schedule and registration details are listed here.
- If your itching for some high school hoops action. Bank Hoops is hosting a camp this Sunday at The Cage in Swartz Creek from 10am-5pm. Games will be starting at 12:30pm and Dwaun Anderson, Percy Gibson, Brandan Kearney, Ray Lee, Patrick Lucas-Perry, Trey Zeigler among others are expected to participate.
- If you missed the football press conference earlier this week, Kelvin Grady told a bit of his story from the time he left the basketball team to his time working the third shift in a Grand Rapids factory before joining the football team. Chengelis recaps the whole story here.